Thursday, July 11, 2013

Guest Blogger - Ted Edinger from "Art with Mr. E"

This is a guest post is contributed by Ted Edinger the creator of the 2012- 2nd place Art Ed Blog of the year "Art with Mr. E".  Ted was named the 2011-2012 Tennessee State Elementary Art Teacher of the Year by TAEA and has been a huge influence in my teaching and decision to start blogging.  As a new teacher I stumbled across Mr. E's blog three years ago and have been a big fan ever since. Art with Mr. E is an excellent resource for new and veteran teachers alike and for all things elementary art. I definitely aspire to take my blog to this level someday- Enjoy! 


I went out on a limb and contacted Ted asking him to write a post that addresses why you blog and how you use your blog as an elementary art teacher? I am privileged to present his response. 


A Post from Mr. E from Art With Mr. E


Art With Mr. E was "birthed" in 2008.  I was encouraged to create my blog by a professor at the start of my masters degree.  He told me that I was an expert in my field, and I needed to share that knowledge with others.  I'm not so sure about the expert part, but I love sharing, encouraging, challenging, and communicating.  A blog seemed like a wonderful tool to connect with other art educators and those interested in children's art.  It is so much more than a place for me to post pictures of my students' work, organizational ideas, and tips.  This past year I was able to go to the National Art Education Convention in Fort Worth,TX .  There I came face to face with my readers. I was surprised by how many people recognized me from my blog, and came up to speak to me.   I spent many hours talking with "fans", and hearing their stories of how Art With Mr. E was making a difference in their teaching....and in their lives. One woman came up to me crying.  She said "I heard you were hear, and had to meet you!   You helped me get through a very rough time in my career with your posts.  I felt like I wasn't alone." I left that conversation with tears in my eyes, humbled by the idea that my silly little blog was having such an impact.  I often picture myself as just a guy from the hills of Appalachia...son of a coal miner....from a  town of only 70 people.  How can I have reach so many?!?!?!  There is power in blogging.  I approach it like I approach my life...I was put here for a purpose, and in everything I do...I need to do it with all that I am(the good, the bad, and the ugly).  Even an art education blog can make a difference when it is done with purpose & passion. 

7 comments:

  1. To reach and inspire so many people in a positive way speaks volumes for the power of blogging. I wasn't aware of how "Art with Mr. E" was started and it is inspiring to see how something small can turn into something so meaningful. I feel excited and motivated to make my blog into something special. Thank you for your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted (and Christina), one of the things that you seem to be talking about is community. As most of the students in this class are beginning bloggers, can you comment on how you've seen your community develop over the past five years? Also, did you do anything proactive to cultivate that community?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most art teachers are hungry for community. Many of us are the only one of our kind in our school. Though the other related arts might "get" some of what we do....they do not totally understand us. The blogging community has allowed for teachers to find like minded individuals doing what they do!!!! I believe it has sharpened us...held us accountable...and inspired us to be better by connecting to our peers & being able to talk with them and ask questions through comments/e-mails. My blog really grew the most through Pinterest. Once again...like minded people wanting to do more, be more, try new things!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow! It is almost like having a celebrity post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make sure to check out the blog, "Art with Mr. E" using the link above!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiring post! It is so nice that someone that has had such an influence on your teaching, Christina, was willing and able to be a guest blogger on your blog. That is pretty thrilling!

    Art With Mr. E is a wonderful resource and I am glad to have been introduced to the author and the tools!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Hey everyone! Gosh...I made a lot of typos! Thanks for reading past the mistakes!!!

    ReplyDelete